Thursday 5 July 2012

Breast Feeding & Formula

During my whole pregnancy I had my heart set on breast feeding. The benefits of breast feeding far out weighed the convenience of formula, plus it's free. Unfortunantly, I went into pre term labor which could not be stopped since my water actually broke. And then ended up having a c-section since she was breech. I immediately started pumping as soon as I was moved into the postpartum unit. It took a couple of days to even pump 5mls which was so disheartening, since I felt like it was the only thing I could do for Claire while she was in the NICU. I spent the next several weeks pumping every two hours around the clock, working with a lactation consultant and was even put on prescription medication to try and trigger my body to produce more. Unfortunately having a c section does slow your body's response to produce milk along with having a premature delivery and having a month seperation from Claire while she was in the NICU.

Here I am 7 months into it, and I pump every 3 to 4 hours to be able to give her 1 to 2 7oz bottles of beast milk a day. It's not ideal, but anything I am able to give her is worth it. Outside of her health problems resulting from her early arrival she really hasn't been sick. Which is huge for a premie! When she doesn't, get breast milk (which has to be fortified with formula to 26 kcal) we use Enfamil Enfacare (also fortified to 26 kcal) which is for premature babies.

I hope, if you choose to breast feed that your experience, is the typical experience. Just remember its hard work but it's wBrmorth it even if you can't exclusively breast feed. Hang in there!

Till Next Time!

0 comments: