Monday, 13 August 2012

Claire's Story

I realized I hadn't yet shared the story of Claire's arrival yet. I guess I should start at my first appointment and I was 11 weeks along. My midwife noticed I had something abnormal with my uterus, it was separated into two sections. The doctor referred to it as a septated uterus. I was then sent to the high risk area of the hospital that I would be delivering at for them to look at my anatomy and the baby closer to make sure everything was okay. Luckily, the baby was in the larger side of my uterus and looked good. The doctor went over the possible risks that could arise from my anatomy, one of which was that the baby could come early since it may run out of room earlier than 40 weeks.

The doctors felt comfortable with me continuing to see my midwife for my regular appointments, but would have me come every 4 to 6 weeks for a growth scan to check on the babys growth. I felt great and the baby was good and we even found out we were having a girl. Sometime around 27 weeks or so (I don't remember when exactly) I stopped feeling her kick as much. I tried everything to get her to move so I could feel her kick and get my kick count for the day. But one day I didn't, so I went into labor and delivery to get checked out as I was sure she was fine but I needed a peace of mind. Sure enough she was, but we did learn I had an anterior placenta which was acting as a shock absorber between myself and the baby which explained why I wasn't feeling her as much. The doctors said I should still get my kick count in and if I didn't I should come in. A few days later I went the whole day at work without feeling her, so I decided to drive to the hospital after just to get checked again to be sure everything was okay. As usual she was fine but this time my blood pressure was high. They admitted me to the hospital to be tested for preeclampsia. After the 24 hour test was done my results came back okay so they diagnosed me with gestational hypertension and kept me for observation for 3 days. When I was discharged I was told to take my blood pressure multiple times a day and e-mail them daily to my doctor along with weekly check ups and a non stress test for the baby. They told me they wouldn't let me go to 40 weeks but depending on how things went I would be induced between 37-39 weeks. Christian and I both took it in and felt okay about it since I was being monitored so closely and we knew the doctors knew best.

That weekend I panicked as we hadn't done anything for the nursery and only had a crib, dresser and a other non essential things from my baby shower. So we made a list of what we needed and spent the weekend picking up what we needed. On Monday I went to work as usual and felt like things were back to normal. Then on Thursday night around 1:30am, I was asleep when I felt and heard a snap, and sure enough my water had broken. I was 34 weeks to the day as we headed to the hospital to have our baby girl. She still had no name, her nursery wasn't even painted and I knew it was too early. After we arrived at the hospital around 2:30am I was taken to triage to do an ultrasound. She was still breech, as she had been for weeks so they began prepping me for a c-section. About 20 minutes before I went back for surgery we decided on her first, Claire. On November 16, 2011 at 4:44 am Claire arrived weighing 4lbs 4oz. After being cleaned up and standard tests done, they brought her to me to briefly see her before she was taken away to the NICU and I was taken to recovery.

While in recovery trying to move my feet as quick as possible so I could be moved to a room and hopefully see my precious baby girl we decided on her middle name, Lucille. Finally after about an hour I was moved into a postpartum room only to find out it would be 8 hours before I could see Claire in the NICU. But finally I was taken by wheelchair into the NICU where I would finally get to hold her for the first time. She was so tiny and had so many wires on her but she was perfect and holding her that first time was the best moment of my life.

Claire spent the next 22 days in the NICU fighting to be well enough to come home. She battled with bradycardia and couldn't make the 5 day count of being brady free. When she reached what would have been 37 weeks gestation they discharged her on an Apnea/Bradyicardia monitor so we could bring her home. On December 8, 2011 Claire Lucille was finally home.


Tanya Pogue said...

Awe you and Clair went throw alot those days . Im so glad y'all are doing so great . your such a strong mommy <3 and she is just such a beautiful baby girl.

Rachel Beer said...

It was quiet a trying time and still is. She has more appointments than I can keep up with sometimes. But its all worth it for her!

Katie said...

Our stories are so much the same! I had premature rupture of membranes at 34 weeks and delivered my little Lillian Kathryn the same day my water broke on Oct 19 last year.. She weighed 4lb 10 oz and was in the NICU for exactly 3 weeks. I can totally understand every emotion you probably felt...what a roller coaster! I wish I knew why my water broke early...but they said we never will. I even woke up with the "snap" of or breaking like you...too weird! Today is actually the day we got discharged from the NICU!

Rachel Beer said...

I love meeting other moms who have been through the preemie/NICU roller coaster. It's nice to hear others stories and have someone really understand how it feels. I'm so glad your baby girl is doing so wonderfully. Claire wasn't able to come off her A&B monitor until she was 8 months old and has a hard time gaining weight with her severe reflux but other than that she is happy and healthy! Congrats on your NICU anniversary! I'd love to follow you.

Our family, two feet at a time said...

I just found your blog and can relate!! Our little guy was born at 35w1d and spent two weeks in the NICU.